Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Super Soft Minky Baby Blanket--With a Suprise!


I made this super-soft minky blanket with an elephant applique for Miss Leah. It matches the Crinkle Toy I posted about here.

Here's how to make your own!

Cut two pieces of your blanket fabric that are the same size. Mine was 40x45".

For the applique I cut a cute elephant from the minky scraps. The piece was 3.5x5" when it was all trimmed up.
I wanted to add the ruffle since Leah is a girl and the blanket isn't very feminine. I tried just pinning the ruffle to the minky, but the minky was way too soft and stretchy. I solved that problem by zig-zagging it to a piece of woven cotton to stabilize it.


There isn't a picture for the next part. I get so excited that I forget to take pictures!

Cut a piece of coordinating cotton fabric 4x45". Fold it in half lengthwise and iron it well. I used my ruffler foot to make pleats in the fabric, but you could use a long stitch length and gather it along the cut edge.



Pin the ruffle, starting at the bottom center, to the outside edge of the applique. Fold the beginning and ending ends down, tapering them, and rounding at the corners. Stitch along the gathering lines to baste the ruffle to the applique.



Trim away your stabilizing fabric. Turn your ruffle to the outside, turning the seam allowance under at the same time.

Once again, I forgot to take a picture!

Pick the spot for the applique. I put mine near the bottom right corner. Pin it in place with he seam allowance tucked under. Topstitch about 1/8" from the edge of the minky,catching the ruffle's seam allowance on the backside.

All that's left is to assemble your blanket!

Put the blanket's right sides together. Using 1/2" seam allowance, sew all the way around, leaving about 5" on one side to turn.

Clip the corners and turn the blanket right side out.

Turn the edges of the opening under and pin it closed. Beginning in one corner, topstitch 1/4" all the way around, catching the fabric at the opening so it's sewn closed. This is a great time to experiment with the decorative stitches on your machine! I used a scallop stitch on this blanket.

Admire your work!

Front

Back

Minky can be tricky to work with because it's slippery and can "walk" when you try to sew it. PIN, PIN, PIN!  Although I've not tried it, a walking foot may help if this is a problem for you.

Even though it's tricky, it can be forgiving also. If you get a little tuck here and there it won't show in the finished blanket. Little things like that are hidden by the pile of the fabric.

Minky isn't the only fabric that's great for a blanket like this! Try combinations of fleece, satin, and flannel.

For an extra-girly blanket, put a large ruffle around the outside edge! Use the same coordinating fabric as you used for the applique to tie it all in together. Satin also makes a great ruffle or you can purchase pre-ruffled satins at fabric stores.

I'd love to see a picture if you make one of your own!


giveaways
I'm linking here!


Beyond The Picket Fence

3 comments:

Cyndi Lewis said...

Super duper cute!

Liz said...

That's super cute...and I love the colors! Great work!

I hope you'll come participate in my link party today! It runs all week so come back and add more BOY projects! All About The Boy @ The Nifty Nest!

Liz

Tami (Pixeltrash) said...

Love that little ellie with the ruffle!