Friday, October 26, 2007

Our Christmas Cactus--Bursting with Buds!



We have a Christmas cactus that I received as a gift almost five years ago. It was just a tiny thing back then. Rick "adopted" it and considers it HIS Christmas cactus now. That's OK, I know it's really mine! (Sorry, Honey...)

Right now it's bursting with buds and will be blooming like crazy probably within the week. Some of the leaves have two buds. We've never seen that before.

This is how we care for the cactus and get it to bloom: We leave it outside in indirect sunlight all summer, watering it as it gets dry. When it first starts getting cool at night, we bring it in. Here's the secret: stop watering it when you bring it inside. I don't know why or how that works, but it will bud and bloom enthusiastically!

I'll post more photos when it's all bloomed out. Last year Katie kept picking the flowers off to give to me. Hopefully she's passed that stage this year.

2 comments:

Cyndi Lewis said...

I have a Christmas catcus that I inherited from a friend and has yet to bloom. I will try this method! Perhaps there is hope yet.

Anonymous said...

A couple of things you forgot to add.One We put it in Catus Soil.
And feen it plant food spikes for blooming and vining plants.Your Loving Hubby.