Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Independence Day Trees and Tutus


Miss Audrey and Miss Katie having fun with their play skirts.

Happy Independence Day!
One of the first things you'll probably notice about the photo above is that our Memorial Day tree is now our Independence Day tree! The bottom is a bit "undecorated" thanks to a curious cat and two little girls.

We've spent a quiet day at home. Of course, pouring rain with thunder and lightening, not to mention severe storm warnings, contributed to our decision to stay put.

While the girls were napping I got out some tulle and made a tutu! (Katie and I went grocery shopping yesterday and she wore a hot pink "grass" skirt all day so I knew a tutu would be a big hit.) The tutorial for this skirt is at Girly Things.

I used two yards of pink tulle and two yards of white. One of the best things about this skirt is that it's VERY forgiving! I didn't measure anything, or even cut the straightest lines, and it still looks great! The only thing I would do differently next time is to use wider elastic. I had some quarter inch on my sewing table, so that's what I used. It twisted easily and stretched out a bit. Next time we'll try half inch elastic and see how that works.
Fuzzy had fun with the tulle, too!

No comments: