Friday, June 1, 2007

The Decadence of it All....Blackberry Dumplings with Ice Cream!


Rick has been asking for Blackberry Dumplings (just like Grandma used to make, of course!) for, oh, maybe....five years or so! I finally made some today. He loved them! I'll post the recipe first, then how I actually made them. We'll be fixing these again in the near future.


Blackberry Dumplings
1 quart blackberries (or any fruit)
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 t salt
1/2 t lemon juice

Dumplings
1 1/2 cups flour
2 t baking powder
1 t sugar
1/4 t salt
1/4 t nutmeg
2/3 cup milk


Mix berries, water, sugar, salt, and lemon juice in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for five minutes.


In the meantime, stir together dry ingredients for dumplings. Add milk and stir until mixed. Drop by tablespoon into boiling berry mixture. Cover tightly and simmer for 15 minutes.


WHAT I ACTUALLY DID:
First of all, I didn't have any fresh berries, but I did find them in a can. I used two undrained cans and still added 1 cup of water and the rest of the syrup ingredients.

When it came time to do the dumplings, I followed the recipe but dropped them using a very small scoop--I believe it holds 1.5 teaspoons. This made the dumplings about the size of meatballs once they were cooked. Since I didn't drain the berries, we had plenty of syrup when they were all finished. If I don't use fresh fruit next time, I may double the dumpling part of the recipe

The ice cream was the "icing on the cake," so to speak. The warm syrup, berries, and dumplings were the perfect compliment to the ice cream. I may try making it with strawberries as soon as they start coming on around here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi I'm Shannon and I've been searching for a easy recipe. Still simmering and looking good. Thank you!

Dana said...

Great! We love this recipe!