Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday: Food Scoops



I have two scoops that look like extra-small ice cream scoops—the old-fashioned kind with the squeeze handle. The smaller of the two belonged to my grandmother. She was a cook at sororities and fraternities at “a major university”. She bought the small scoop when she worked there. It makes cookie baking so easy! Just scoop out the dough, squeeze the handle, and voila--uniform cookies that are fast to dip out! (Anyone who’s been through 4-H Foods Division I knows how important uniformity is!) This small scoop holds about one measuring teaspoon. It’s just the right size when you want bite-sized cookies: baby or wedding showers, cookies for small children, or when you want a recipe to yield more actual cookies than the recipe states.

The larger of the scoops says “40” on the inside. That must have something to do with the size, but I’m not sure exactly what it is. I’m guessing it holds about two measuring tablespoons. This scoop is great for “normal”-sized cookies. Again, it makes scooping fast and easy. This scoop is also wonderful for muffins: two scoops of muffin batter in a regular-sized muffin tin is just the right amount for perfect muffins, regardless of the recipe. They’re never too small, and the batter never runs over the sides.

These scoops are also great when you’re making cookies or other recipes that require rolling food into balls. Just scoop out the food, plop it on a piece of waxed paper or a cookie sheet, then roll it into a rounder ball. No food gets under your fingernails…I just HATE it when that happens! I do this when I’m making peanut butter cookies or meatballs. No digging into the food with your hands!

Making cooking more uniform, less messy, and easier….that Works for Me! Be sure to check out Works for Me Wednesday at Rocks in My Dryer for more great ideas!

4 comments:

Misa said...

I was checking out this week's "works for me" and just thought I'd mention that the number on a scoop indicates the number of level scoops you could get out of a gallon. So, the larger the number, the smaller the scoop. A number 40 scoop holds one and two-thirds tbsp. (I only know this because I spent a year in pastry school and it was on one of our major tests.)

Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

I have a small scoop like this and I love it!! I got mine from Pampered Chef.

Kathy, Jeff's Wife said...

I've GOT to get one of those!

Unknown said...

Great idea!
Thanks!