Sunday, January 4, 2009

Patterns. I Love 'Em.

Patterns. I love them. All of them. All kinds of them.

And it shows.

I would post a photo of all my patterns, but I probably couldn't get them all in one photo. Just take my word for it--I have a lot.

In the past few days I've been trying to be tough and sort them out. Patterns really are one thing I have a hard time parting with. Well, patterns and fabric. And trim. Can't forget the trim. Oh, and different threads...love threads....

But I digress.

Lately I've been getting a lot of my patterns from You Can Make This. It's my absolute favorite place for inspiration. The best part is that the patterns are in ebook form. This means you download the pattern and the instructions from the website right to your computer! You then print the pattern out and, depending on the pattern and the size, you do a little taping the pieces together. Very, very simple! Plus you get all the sizes the pattern comes in right there in one download (usually just one anyway). Once you sign up with them you also have your ebooks in their library so you can print them out at any time. They also have a section of free ebooks and patterns so you can try them out before you purchase anything.

I have to admit that I have downloaded all my YCMT (You Can Make This) patterns and have them stored on a USB file. I work between two computers and the laptop in my sewing room does not have internet access. This is a very simple way to keep all your patterns together.

Once I print and cut out a pattern, I file it in a gallon-size ziploc bag and keep it in a box with all the other lovely little patterns. They like to join their friends there once I'm done with them.

So, back to sorting patterns. I don't really have a good way to sort and store the traditional enveloped patterns. The patterns I'm keeping (and that's most of them) are filed by size, in a general way.

Tomorrow--notions.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Great link! Nice to see you posting again. I've thought of you often. Hoping you're doing well. Keep posting so I know what you're doing. You ought to join twitter with me! It's so fun & trust me you'd love it!

a Pocket Angel said...

Dana,
I love patterns too!
Thanks so very much for sharing the link with us..it looks like a good one.
I like the way you file your patterns, what a great idea.
Have a lovely day!! ~Mary~ :-}

momster said...

If you can tar your self away from your patterns I am tagging you!