Sunday, January 18, 2009

Upcycled Dress

I made this dress for Bug (a.k.a. Audrey) out of a pair of thrifted overalls and some clearance fabric. Cute, eh?

Start by laying the overalls out flat and cutting the pants off about 1" below the bib. Serge or zig-zag the edge.

I cut the fabric for the skirt about 17" long allowing for 1/2" seam allowance on each end and 30" wide. I gathered the top with my ruffling foot, although you could easily gather it with a long basting stitch. Then I sewed the gathered edge to the bibs using my zipper foot so I could get really close to the bib's seam.

I then added a ruffle of a similar fabric to the bottom.

The bibs then needed a little decoration so I took the pocket off and added a ruffle. I sewed the pocket back on using a gold thread that matched the topstitching that was already there.

Voila'! Finished!
P.S. The bottom ruffle looks a little wonky in the photo because it wasn't hanging evenly on the hanger.

4 comments:

Emma said...

Thank you Dana! I have really bad news. Dixie got hit by a car the day before yesterday, it's been a really hard time for me. I hope you all are okay.
Thank you for always commenting.
Love Emma

Julie From Inmates said...

THAT IS REALLY CUTE! Love it.

Elm said...

I wish I had the talent to make a cute little dress like that! But, alas, I'm all thumbs.

Elm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.