Thursday, May 24, 2007

Getting a Jump-Start

Yes, it’s 92 degrees outside and I’m working with FLEECE! Yes, I’m getting a jump start on Christmas gifts. Fleece is still available in the summer. In fact, the stores have a good stock. They haven’t sold out of anything yet, so now is a good time to get what you want.

Rick asked for an Indianapolis Colts fleece throw last year after the Colts won the SuperBowl. I got the fleece at Hobby Lobby using one of their 40% off coupons so this will be an inexpensive gift.

I use 2-2 ½ yards for an adult-sized throw. The fleece is usually 58” to 60” wide. This makes a nice sized blanket for a teenager or an adult. Most fleece blankets are made with two layers of fleece. I think this is way too thick for most people, unless you live in Siberia. Using one layer makes the blanket much easier to handle and gives you more options when you go to tie the fringe. A single layer also makes the blanket half the cost of double layers!

The first thing you need to do is cut off any selvage that is bound or has a print. Just trim it off with scissors.

I don’t do anything laborious when I make a throw. I cut the fringes the length of my scissor blade. I don’t measure the width of each fringe. Eyeball it. It all works out in the end.

Start by cutting a square out of each corner that is the length and width of the scissor blades. Open the blades all the way up, put them about the place you want to cut, and make a big slash. Do that again to cut out a square. Do that on each corner.

Cutting the fringes is easy too. Just guess about every ½ inch and make a slash the length of the scissor blades. Do that all the way around the fleece.

You can tie the fringes one of two different ways. The traditional way is to tie the double layers together with a knot. Since I’m only using one layer, I can just tie a knot up near the body of the blanket or tie two adjoining fringes together. I’ve opted for the second option, just to be different. If you choose to do it this way, you may get to the end of one row and find that you have an uneven number of fringes to tie. This is not an emergency! Just work the odd fringe in—tie three together. No one will ever know unless you tell them.


Tie all the way around the blanket until all the fringe is used up. Put the blanket up for a cooler day and cross one Christmas gift off your list!
For more Frugal Friday ideas, head over to Biblical Womanhood!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

That is a super idea! Thanks for sharing the steps needed to make it. :o)