Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Peanut Butter Granola

Katie and I made Peanut Butter Granola the other day. It's a big hit around here--and very easy to make!

Peanut Butter Granola

10 cups quick oats
1/2 cup brown sugar--or a little bit of honey
1 cup chunky peanut butter
12 oz 100% apple juice concentrate--thawed
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 T cinnamon

Mix oats and brown sugar together in a large bowl. Whisk remaining ingredients in a separate bowl. Pour over oat mixture. Mix with a spoon until it gets very stiff. Finish mixing with your hands. It will be like a stiff cookie dough. Spread on a cookie sheet. Toast at 225 for an hour, stirring every 15 minutes. When it's done you'll have large clumps that are great for snacking and flakes that are wonderful as a cereal with milk.

Just to be different, I made a batch yesterday substituing pumpkin puree from a can for the peanut butter and adding in some cinnamon, nutmeg, and a little pinch of cloves. It was moister so I baked it at 250 for an hour and 15 minutes, still stirring every 15 minutes. When it was finished I added craisins (dried cranberries) and chopped walnuts. With the exception of the nuts, this version is fat free!

2 comments:

Mrs.Garcia said...

Dana, I am new to your blog. I just wanted to thank you for sharing your God-Given Talents with all of us.
I also wanted to thank for the Yummy Peanut Butter Granola Recipe. I cannot wait to try it out.
I have a question though can you use All-Natural Peanut Butter the Creamy instead of the Crunchy I cannot have the Peanut butter that the Oil is already mixed in with but I can have the All-Natural Peanut Butter like Smuckers makes.
By the Way I found your blog through Home with Marmee.
Thanks,
Mrs.Garcia

Dana said...

Mrs. Garcia--
Thank you for your kind comments! Yes, the smooth peanut butter works just as well. We like the nut pieces for extra crunch, which is why I use it. We use the Smucker's brand also. Let me know how it turns out! It doesn't last long around here!

Dana