Tuesday, May 8, 2007

It Fits to a "T"!


I made Katie a cute little dress from a t-shirt. It was really easy, not to mention cute and inexpensive!

I didn't take pictures of the step-by-step process, but I'll give you a written tutorial if you'd like to make one for your little princess.

First, I bought a t-shirt for less than $3.00. It's a little prettier than a regular t-shirt--the sleeves have a little puff to the top so it looks girly. Sitting around in my sewing room was a bag of remnants. Inside I found a green and yellow daisy print that would make a great skirt. I had 1/2 yard of it and it was 44" wide. I also had some yellow gingham that went well with the daisy print.


I measured Katie from the top of her shoulder to the place I'd like the skirt to start. It was 8" so I added 1/2" for a seam allowance and cut the shirt off.


I cut a piece of the yellow gingham 3 1/2" wide, folded it in half lengthwise, and iron it. I then sewed it with 1/4" seam to the long side of the green print to make a border at the bottom. Press the border towards the skirt. Stitch up the skirt seam and press open.


I added ties to my dress. I cut a piece of the yellow fabric that was 45" long and about 2 1/2" wide. Cut it in half so you have two pieces that are 2 1/2"x22 1/2". Fold in half and sew the long side and one short side with 1/4" seam. Turn right side out and press. Turn the unfinised edge to the inside about 1/4 inch and press. Place the tie at the side seam 1/2" from the bottom. Sew very close to the side seam. Do this with both ties.


Divide the shirt into quarters and place pins to mark. Do the same thing for the skirt. Match the pins and pin the right sides together (skirt and top). Take each quarter and find the center. Pin in place. You now have eight sections. Divide each of these sections in half also. Pin in place.


Starting at one side seam, sew the skirt to the top with 1/2" seam. Finger press the fabric forward over the pins making pleats. Do this all the way around the skirt. Remove pins. I then zig-zagged around the waist again and trimmed the seam. I did this because I didn't want to get the serger out!


That was it! I think it turned out very cute. I have a yellow daisy button that I may sew to the neckline later. I'm still thinking about it. It will go very well with the Lazy Daisy socks I finished a few days ago.


This went so well I'm now thinking about more dresses....I have two turtlenecks I got on clearance for next fall and winter. If I can find some flannel.... What about making matching vests? Hair scrunchies? Socks? The possibilites are endless!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this. I made a T shirt dress and it didn't turn out this well...I will try tucks rather than the bulky gathering I did...also the tie at the waist and trim at the bottom really make it pretty. I like the flannel and turtleneck idea, too. I saw long sleeve shirts on sale at wal-mart for $3 yesterday..should have picked some up.

Paula said...

Thank you for sharing this link (on the Making It Home or Home With Marmee - can't remember). This is SO CUTE! I am actually going top post a trackback to her from my blog! GREAT work on the dress. I think after seeing this I will try to get up the courage to try it myself. I do much better with step by step pictures, but I will try this way first. :)Might have difficulty with the directions for tucks. Maybe you can do a step by step pic just for that part? :D Let me know on my blog if you do!! :) I rarely get back to comments to see the replies. THANKS!! And THANK YOU for this blog! I am LOVING it!! I can't wait to see what else you do!!! :)
Oh I also LOVED the link to the crocheted socks!! I have been wanting to learn that for a while! I am gonna have to trackback to that one too!!! :)