Monday, May 28, 2007

Tacky, Yet Festive!


At 8:00 this morning I found myself putting up a "Memorial Day tree". Now, to the average Joe, this may appear to be a Christmas tree. In fact, the box the tree came in said it was a Christmas tree. Today, they were wrong!

I bought this tree off of eBay back in February. It sat, in the box, in the dining room until this morning. Family was set to arrive around noon and I needed to move the box. However, I wanted to make sure all the lights worked before dragging it to the garage. So, we put it up!

I scrounged around and found some red, white, and silver ball ornaments that I'd bought at Goodwill since March or so. I also had 100 feet of red metallic garland. I found a remnant of patriotic fabric that we used for an impromptu tree skirt. Then we tucked in a few small flags, an artificial cardinal, and added a silver star.
Voila! A Memorial Day tree! The neighbors probably think we're insane.


I also put a strand of blue and white lights in the kitchen. That part was tacky....but I love it! So do the girls. I'm thinking of leaving it all up until Labor Day! (Just kidding...maybe!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you are insane, but that's beside the point. :)

Kim

EEEEMommy said...

I can see the logic! Very fun! Your kids will be talking about it for years! "Remember how we ALWAYS (even if it's just this once) put up the Christmas tree for Memorial Day?" LOL! :)

Kathy, Jeff's Wife said...

Cute idea! This is what memories are made of!